My story isn’t too different from many others who have started to explore this “no-poo” thing. I read a lot of blogs trying to find the best way to have a good experience. My biggest motivator for trying something different is I felt I had nothing to loose. I used to love my hair, I’ve always treated it well (or so I thought). Over time my hair became dull and lifeless, my scalp was itchy, and I forgot what it felt like to truly have a good hair day.
I wasn’t a fan of the backing soda shampoo so I skipped that and decided to try a shampoo bar. I purchased “J.R. Liggett Bar Shampoo, Jojoba and Peppermint” from amazon and decided to start with every other day. The first time I used the bar shampoo it my scalp felt amazing! I knew that I was on the right track.
I did a lot of research before starting, but there are a few things I wish I knew that would have made the transition very easy.
- How to tell if you have all the shampoo washed out. This was BY FAR the biggest thing I wish I understood. The first few months were me thinking I was in the transition phase because my hair was waxy, but the truth is I just wasn’t washing all the shampoo out.
- Hard Water – This is in addition to the first one. I knew I had hard water, but even with a water softener I still needed to treat my hair like we have hard water. This is where I will go into more detail about how I use Apple Cider Vinegar and Lemon Juice as a conditioner.
- How to deal with the Frizz. This is pretty simple compared to the rest, and I know others have the opposite problem with extra oil. It falls more into understanding your hair type and what additional products (if any) can help.
Over the last several months I’ve tried several different products, and combination of products. If you are starting out with Shampoo Bars I strongly suggest trying to get some samples first so you can try out different types to find the one that works best with your hair.
Shown below are some of the products I’ve used and what my hair looks like now. The top hair pictures are right out of the shower after rinsing and adding oil. Bottom are after my hair has air dried, as you can see it fills out nicely and isn’t too frizzy.
Now, onto some of the products I am using. Over the next month each item will link to a more detailed post about the product.
- J.R. Liggett Bar Shampoo – Both the Joboba & Peppermint and the Moisturizing Formula. I started with the Joboba & Pepermint, this was a great one to start with! My most recent bar shampoo was to try the Moisturizing Formula. I figured I would like it, and if I did Amazon has it as a subscribe & save item.
- Beauty and the Bees Sample Box – This consisted of six different small sample size bars of shampoo. This is also a great place to start, I really liked most of them.
- Pure Brazilian Shampoo and Conditioner. I got the sample leave in conditioner in my IPSY bag and fell in love with it. The Shampoo does appear to be an OK lo-poo shampoo but the conditioner still has silicone in it. I have not had any issues switching between bar shampoo and this stuff.
- Tarte Maracuja Oil – This is not really a shampoo, but I’ve been using it after I wash my hair to help with frizz. This is one of the items I got in my IPSY bag as well. I haven’t looked into buying more of it, but I’m pretty sure I will end up getting more.
- Silicone Free, Sulfate Free Conditioners. I’ve tried OKAY Black Jamaican Castor Oil and Briogeo Don’t Despair, Repair! Deep conditioning mask.
This is the first of several posts, if you want to know more about the products and my journey to better hair check back over the next month! Hopefully next week I will also find out what’s in my January IPSY bag!